I call on cooperatives as a sales representative for several fair trade companies. I came across P6 for the first time this February so I found this article in the La Cross Tribune intriguing.
The Principle Six (P6) Co-operative Trade Movement is an initiative created by cooperatives that promotes small farmers/producers, cooperative businesses and local farmers. P6 works by promoting products and producers that meet our highest values, engaging and empowering customers to make purchasing decisions that make our food system more just and sustainable. The Viroqua Food Co-op designates products as P6 when they meet at least two of the three criteria:
- Local: A product grown or produced within 100 miles of the VFC, or having value added within that radius.
- Cooperative/nonprofit: Cooperative ownership of the business, nonprofit status or the business sources the majority of their product’s ingredients from cooperatives or nonprofits. Some ESOP’s, Social Ventures, or alternative business models may qualify.
- Small farmer/producer: Small producer is defined using these guidelines:
- Independently owned and operated, and
- Selling direct to store or through a regional distributor. Continue reading